Monday, November 17, 2008

Day 1 - Part 2

After we put in a few hours of beach time, we headed to the Polynesian Cultural Center. 


It was so much fun and it made me sad that I didn't have some great cultural tradition. I basically can contribute big gulps to society. Maybe casseroles or microwave popcorn?  I digress, it was beautiful and the church does an amazing job ensuring these cultures are celebrated.  

Here is our little canoe tour of the various islands.


This is Darren in the male Taihitian dance. It was so packed I could only get an upward shot of Darren. The dance resembled an elaborate chicken dance. 


Here we are before the lu'au began.



This is post lu'au - torrential downpour and Darren is over taking pictures. We are a tad wet here. 

I would say the only bad thing was when it started to rain after the lu'au. Actually the rain wasn't the problem. The problem was I was wearing a dress and had to run through the rain to get to the final performance. It was a LOT of rain - the deep puddle kind. So I was wet, tired, and really really cold.  Those fire dancers looked warm and I was a tad jealous that they got to handle fire. I knew I should have packed my Uggs. 


2 comments:

Alisa said...

I am so jealous!!! I lived at Turtle Bay (the condos) while going to school there. Your posts makes me miss it so much! So glad that you had fun!

Katie said...

Nikki! You are so lucky! Man I'm jealous! I miss Hawaii like crazy. Loved living there, going to school there, and vacationing there. How nice to be able to go back to where you spent your honeymoon! I feel like I've been so out of the loop with everyone. Just found out Lexi is pregnant, and didn't know you guys went on that fabulous vacation. Miss you! Wish we could see you for Christmas...it'll be a Puerto Rican Christmas for us this year!